Krijn Rietveld Memorial Innovation Award
In honor of Krijn Rietveld (1957 – 2018), Leiden University Fund and Royal DSM have launched the Krijn Rietveld Memorial Innovation Award to recognize and reward excellence in innovative research that contributes to a brighter society.
Krijn Rietveld was a scientists and business leader who dedicated his life to bio-sciences. In 1985 Krijn received his PhD from Leiden University, after which he started his life-long career at Royal DSM. Always optimistic and with a great sense of humor, Krijn knew how to build bridges between business and the academic world. For Krijn, science and innovation was all about looking at the world we live in, studying the challenges we face and working together across disciplines to deliver innovative solutions that contribute to our planet and the people living on it. These behaviors and beliefs underpin the Krijn Rietveld Memorial Innovation Award.
Award for the best thesis or dissertation
This prestigious award accompanies a cash prize of €10,000 (ten thousand euros) and will be handed out annually, starting in 2020, for the best thesis (MSc), dissertation (PhD) or post-doc research at Leiden University in the field of bio-sciences or data sciences in relation to nutrition. The award is intended to help the winner make the all-important connection between his or her scientific achievement and commercial and industrial success.
To be nominated for this award, the following criteria must be met:
- The award is for MSc students, PhD students or post-docs who studied at the Faculty of Science, at Leiden University, and received their master’s or PhD degree no longer than 5 years ago.
- The nominated research needs to relate to the field of bio-sciences or data sciences in relation to nutrition.
- Candidates cannot nominate themselves but can be nominated by a Scientific Director only. Per year, each Scientific Director can nominate a maximum of two candidates.
Judging & selection
A judging committee will review the nominations and select the winner. The judging committee is led by a representative of the Faculty of Science from Leiden University (nominated by the Dean) and includes the Director of Knowledge Partnering of Leiden University, the Director of the Bio Science Park, a representative of the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science, and a representative of Royal DSM.
The jury will assess the incoming nominations based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the problem definition.
- The quality of the scientific research.
- The research should contribute to tackling (a) societal challenge(s) as outlined by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- A proof-of-concept of the innovation should be available with the potential to be applied in a commercial product or solution.
- In the ideal case, a potential partner for commercialization has been found(ed), or a potential spin-off company for the technology has been found(ed).
The closing date for nominations for the Krijn Rietveld Memorial Innovation Award 2020 is 1 April 2020.