Snouck Hurgronje Prize
The Snouck Hurgronje Prize is awarded to student activities or initiatives (in the broadest sense of the word) that promote cohesion. It was established by the Leiden University Fund (LUF) at the instigation of the Committee for General Student Activity Grants (CASSA).
The €5,000 Snouck Hurgronje Prize is awarded to an initiative undertaken by Leiden University students that brings together different faculties or associations or promotes cohesion between the academic community and the local community in Leiden or The Hague. The prize is awarded on the annual Cleveringa Evening (around 26 November).
Initiatives that qualify for the prize are:
- broadening and/or deepening;
- conceived by Leiden students;
- aimed at a group that includes people studying at Leiden University.
The initiative must also bring people together. The following are welcomed:
- activities or initiatives by multiple study or student associations and/or students from different faculties;
- activities or initiatives that strengthen cohesion in Leiden or The Hague, in the sense of bringing together the University and local communities in Leiden or The Hague.
How to apply
The process consists of three rounds. The deadlines will be published on this page.
- Round one is a visit to CASSA on a Monday morning. Make an appointment via LUF (071 513 0503) beforehand;
- Round two is entering online via the LUF website. It must be clear who is entering for the prize, what the initiative is and what the motivation behind it is. A budget must also be provided. CASSA will select three initiatives to go through to the final.
- In the third and final round, the finalists present their initiatives in a short film or pitch. This is on Cleveringa Evening, which is sometime around 26 November 2020. A panel of judges that comprises at least one member of CASSA is appointed each year to select the winner.
- The Snouck Hurgronje Prize is a guaranteed grant of €5,000 that is awarded before the initiative or activity is undertaken;
- The Prize may be equal to the entire budget of the initiative or activity;
- Entrants may not apply for the Snouck Hurgronje Prize together with another CASSA grant.